Sochi: Chevrolet Ads Featuring Same-Sex Couples to Air During Olympics Opening Ceremony (Video)
As protests spread against Russia’s anti-gay laws, the commercials are the first to include gay couples to air during the games.
As millions of viewers tune into NBC tonight to watching the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympics, Chevrolet is premiering two new commercials featuring families headed by same-sex couples.
With the Sochi Olympics having been dubbed the "anti-LGBT Games," due to discriminative laws in Russia, the move is being applauded by equal rights groups such as GLAAD, and is the first of its kind during the opening ceremonies of the games.
The two spots blend news clips, social media and real-life events to show that "even though the world is changing, the things that matter most remain the same."
"Chevrolet has nailed it with ads that truly reflect the fabric of our nation, which today includes gay and lesbian families," said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
"Recent LGBT-inclusive ads like these not only raise the bar for the advertising industry, but also reflect the growing support and acceptance of LGBT people. It's about time my children were able to turn on the television and see families like their own represented in mainstream advertising."
On Feb. 2, Coca-Cola aired the first ever Super Bowl commercial to feature same-sex couples, telling the story of a pair of gay dads who take their daughter ice-skating.
Some athletes themselves expressed their support for the LGBT community with their national uniforms during the opening ceremony on Friday, as the German team wore a rainbow of colors, and Greek Olympians paired distinctive rainbow gloves with their pale blue outfits.
Also on Friday, GLAAD announced a partnership with the Gay Games, which advocates positive media attention around LGBT inclusiveness in sports and takes place in Akron and Cleveland, Ohio, from August 9 to 16.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress