Sochi: Chevrolet Ads Featuring Same-Sex Couples to Air During Olympics Opening Ceremony (Video)
As protests spread against Russia’s anti-gay laws, the commercials are the first to include gay couples to air during the games.
As millions of viewers tune into NBC tonight to watching the opening ceremonies of the 2014 Winter Olympics, Chevrolet is premiering two new commercials featuring families headed by same-sex couples.
With the Sochi Olympics having been dubbed the "anti-LGBT Games," due to discriminative laws in Russia, the move is being applauded by equal rights groups such as GLAAD, and is the first of its kind during the opening ceremonies of the games.
The two spots blend news clips, social media and real-life events to show that "even though the world is changing, the things that matter most remain the same."
"Chevrolet has nailed it with ads that truly reflect the fabric of our nation, which today includes gay and lesbian families," said GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Kate Ellis in a statement to The Hollywood Reporter.
"Recent LGBT-inclusive ads like these not only raise the bar for the advertising industry, but also reflect the growing support and acceptance of LGBT people. It's about time my children were able to turn on the television and see families like their own represented in mainstream advertising."
On Feb. 2, Coca-Cola aired the first ever Super Bowl commercial to feature same-sex couples, telling the story of a pair of gay dads who take their daughter ice-skating.
Some athletes themselves expressed their support for the LGBT community with their national uniforms during the opening ceremony on Friday, as the German team wore a rainbow of colors, and Greek Olympians paired distinctive rainbow gloves with their pale blue outfits.
Also on Friday, GLAAD announced a partnership with the Gay Games, which advocates positive media attention around LGBT inclusiveness in sports and takes place in Akron and Cleveland, Ohio, from August 9 to 16.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!