Super Bowl Video: Renee Fleming Adds Classical Touch to the National Anthem
The New York-raised soprano is the first opera singer ever to perform the national anthem before the big game.
Renee Fleming helped kick off this year's Super Bowl with an operatic rendition of the national anthem.
The opera singer -- wearing a custom-designed black Vera Wang long-sleeve gown with pleated accent at the waist and an ivory wrap coat -- opened the show before the big game between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Sunday. A chorus comprising members of the armed forces aided the soprano during her performance.
Fleming, a four-time Grammy winner, is the first opera singer to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Recent performers included pop and country singers such as Alicia Keys (2013), Kelly Clarkson (2012), Christina Aguilera (2011) and Carrie Underwood (2010).
Before Fleming hit the stage, Queen Latifah opened the show with a performance of "America the Beautiful."
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay