Super Bowl Video: Renee Fleming Adds Classical Touch to the National Anthem
The New York-raised soprano is the first opera singer ever to perform the national anthem before the big game.
Renee Fleming helped kick off this year's Super Bowl with an operatic rendition of the national anthem.
The opera singer -- wearing a custom-designed black Vera Wang long-sleeve gown with pleated accent at the waist and an ivory wrap coat -- opened the show before the big game between the Denver Broncos and Seattle Seahawks at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J., on Sunday. A chorus comprising members of the armed forces aided the soprano during her performance.
Fleming, a four-time Grammy winner, is the first opera singer to perform the national anthem at the Super Bowl. Recent performers included pop and country singers such as Alicia Keys (2013), Kelly Clarkson (2012), Christina Aguilera (2011) and Carrie Underwood (2010).
Before Fleming hit the stage, Queen Latifah opened the show with a performance of "America the Beautiful."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, Plus A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10