Vin Diesel: 'Fast Five' Has Shot at Oscar
"I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Oscar talk around this," the actor says of the box office hit.
Fast Five star Vin Diesel says he think the action movie has a real shot at Oscar glory.
In an interview with the Los Angeles Times, Diesel said the movie could be a contender come awards season.
"I wouldn't be surprised if there is some Oscar talk around this. I don't know, maybe I'm just biting off what some guy from Channel 7 thought," he said with a "chuckle." "But sooner or later, people are gonna say, 'Wait a minute, just because they are for the working class doesn't mean they're not great.'"
The movie has already broken box office records, opening to $83.6 million at the domestic box office two weekends ago.
Overseas, Fast Five took in $85.1 million this past weekend, setting a record for distributor Universal.
The movie, directed by Justin Lin, also stars Dwayne Johnson and Paul Walker. A sequel is already in the works.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'