Vintage Video: The Damned Things' Joe Trohman on 'Stairway To Heaven'
It’s all about the 5:35 mark. Joe Trohman, Fall Out Boy guitar slinger whose new band, The Damned Things, just released their debut album Ironiclast on December 14 (FOB is on “indefinite hiatus,” he says), was monumentally changed when he first saw this vintage video of Led Zeppelin’s classic “Stairway to Heaven,” a live performance from one of five 1975 shows at London’s Earl’s Court.”
“It’s such a cliché choice that definitely caters towards a guitar-centric guy like me,” Trohman admits straight away. “But it’s still one of the best songs out there and what I’ve always really loved about this video is how the solo is totally different from the record. Jimmy Page is basically adlibbing, then jamming on it for a long while and it’s just epic. So much feel, so much soul. And there’s a crazy, goofy aspect, too, like the double rack guitar and what [Page] is wearing.”
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera