Violent Dispute Breaks Out on Mexico City Set of Alfonso Cuaron Film

Elisabetta A. Villa/WireImage/Getty Images
Alfonso Cuaron

Police say crewmembers clashed with local authorities who attempted to shut down the production over permit issues.

Crewmembers working on Alfonso Cuaron's untitled Mexico period drama on Wednesday came to blows with city authorities who tried to shutter the production over a permit dispute.

Additionally, the crew has filed a crime report alleging that during the incident some members were robbed of their personal belongings, including cellphones, wallets and jewelry.

The producer has provided a signed copy of the permit issued by the Mexico City Film Commission.

Initial media reports suggested the crew had been attacked by a group of armed assailants, but Mexico City's Public Security Secretariat issued a statement saying "in no moment was the crew a victim of a robbery."

"Video footage shows a large group of people arriving at the location who identified themselves as district authorities and after an exchange of words, a fight broke out," the police department said.

The altercation left at least five crewmembers injured.

Cuauhtemoc borough chief Ricardo Monreal apologized for the "excesses committed" and said the officials were responding to neighbors' complaints that the production had altered traffic flow on 20 streets.

Oscar-winner Cuaron reportedly was not on set when the incident occurred.

The 1970s-set drama, executive produced by Participant Media, chronicles a year in the life of a middle-class Mexico City family. The film is a much smaller project compared to Cuaron's previous work, the big-budget space thriller Gravity.

 

comments powered by Disqus