Virgin Media Stock Hits 52-Week High as Liberty Global Deal Talks Are Confirmed
John Malone's international cable company could pay $20 billion-plus for the U.K. company, which competes with BSkyB.
The stock of U.K. cable operator Virgin Media jumped to a 52-week high Wednesday after it confirmed that it is in discussions about a possible sale to John Malone's Liberty Global.
The stock rose more than 15 percent to a new 52-week high of $44.60 (£28.26) in early trading.
The Financial Times had reported late Tuesday that international cable firm Liberty Global was preparing a $20 billion-plus bid for Virgin. The second-largest British pay-TV firm competes with the likes of satellite-TV giant BSkyB, in which Rupert Murdoch's News Corp. owns a 39-percent stake.
"Virgin Media confirms that it is in discussions with Liberty Global Inc., a leading international cable company, concerning a possible transaction," Virgin Media said in a statement entitled "Response to Press Speculation" on Tuesday. "Any such transaction would be subject to regulatory and other conditions."
It added that any further announcement would come “in due course.”
Liberty Global owns businesses in 13 countries with 20 million customers. It operates in such countries as Germany, Switzerland, Belgium and Chile, and is the parent company of European content arm Chello Media.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!