Vivian Schiller Named Chief Digital Officer at NBC News
The former president and CEO of NPR will be tasked with leading digital strategy at NBC News and MSNBC.
Vivian Schiller has been named chief digital officer of NBC News. The announcement came Thursday from NBC News president Steve Capus.
“Bringing Vivian on board enhances this network’s mission of growth and the evolution of its digital businesses and strategy. With Vivian's help, NBC News will be recognized as the premier broadcast news organization in America, as well as the most innovative, comprehensive and trusted news operation,” Capus said in a statement. “Her background in journalism, combined with expertise in the digital space will add a strong new pillar to the NBC News leadership team.”
Speculation surfaced yesterday that the former NPR chief was poised to join the news organization. Schiller stepped down from NPR last March in the wake of the controversial decision to dismiss Juan Williams in part for comments he made during appearances on Fox News Channel.
Schiller will report to Capus. She starts her new job in mid-July. She’ll be tasked with leading digital strategy for both NBC News and MSNBC including oversight of the network’s digital extensions on the web and in mobile as well as providing direction to the network’s new emerging properties such as educationnation.com and theGrio.com.
Prior to her stint at NPR, Schiller held executive positions at NYTimes.com, Discovery Times Channel and CNN Productions.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama