Vivian Schiller Named Chief Digital Officer at NBC News
The former president and CEO of NPR will be tasked with leading digital strategy at NBC News and MSNBC.
Vivian Schiller has been named chief digital officer of NBC News. The announcement came Thursday from NBC News president Steve Capus.
“Bringing Vivian on board enhances this network’s mission of growth and the evolution of its digital businesses and strategy. With Vivian's help, NBC News will be recognized as the premier broadcast news organization in America, as well as the most innovative, comprehensive and trusted news operation,” Capus said in a statement. “Her background in journalism, combined with expertise in the digital space will add a strong new pillar to the NBC News leadership team.”
Speculation surfaced yesterday that the former NPR chief was poised to join the news organization. Schiller stepped down from NPR last March in the wake of the controversial decision to dismiss Juan Williams in part for comments he made during appearances on Fox News Channel.
Schiller will report to Capus. She starts her new job in mid-July. She’ll be tasked with leading digital strategy for both NBC News and MSNBC including oversight of the network’s digital extensions on the web and in mobile as well as providing direction to the network’s new emerging properties such as educationnation.com and theGrio.com.
Prior to her stint at NPR, Schiller held executive positions at NYTimes.com, Discovery Times Channel and CNN Productions.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!