Volkswagen Returns to 'Star Wars' Theme for Super Bowl Ad
After a commercial featuring a boy dressed up as Darth Vader during last year's game, the car maker is this time using a recreation of the film's cantina scene.
NEW YORK - Volkswagen will continue a Star Wars theme with its latest Super Bowl commercial, the New York Times reported.
The car maker's Super Bowl ad last year was called "The Force" and featured a boy dressed like Darth Vader to promote the company's Passat. It was the most-watched Super Bowl spot on YouTube last year and the most-watched ad of any kind on the Google video site in 2011, according to the Times.
This year, Volkswagen is promoting the 2012 Beetle during the Super Bowl. “Given the momentum and interest, it made the most sense to tap into the equity of last year,” Tim Mahoney, chief product and marketing officer at Volkswagen of America, told the Times.
Not interested in making a sequel though, viewers will not see “the little boy coming back,” he explained. Instead, the commercial is about a determined dog named Bolt and its quest, which involves a Beetle. The Star Wars content in the spot includes a recreation of the famous cantina scene from the film.
A teaser video for this year's ad online, entitled "The Bark Side," sees a dog chorus performing Darth Vader's theme.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR