James Franco, Bryan Cranston and Backstreet Boys Among 2013 Walk of Fame Honorees
Javier Bardem, Ron Howard, Viola Davis, Helen Mirren, Ellen DeGeneres, Jane Lynch, Matthew Perry, Katey Sagal and Jennifer Hudson will also receive stars.
The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce announced the 24 honorees who will be given a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, a list light on motion picture names but inclusive of radio and live performance figures.
Marg Helgenberger, who was honored with a star last year, announced the names at the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel on Friday. No dates were given for when the stars would be placed.
The list of motion picture honorees is particularly thin on actors and actresses, of which there are just four. Also among the selections is a make-up artist, a rare choice for the Walk: Rick Baker, whose make-up credits include Star Wars, the Men In Black series and Tropic Thunder.
The awards in television, on the other hand, are heavy on current stars like Bryan Cranston, Simon Baker and Jane Lynch. For Ellen DeGeneres, also honored in television, the announcement comes one month after being selected to receive the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor by Washington, D.C.’s John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts.
Among the musicians selected are two of the biggest boy bands of the ’90s, Backstreet Boys and New Kids on the Block, as boy bands like One Direction and The Wanted are currently making a resurgence. And joining the cadre of posthumously awarded musicians -- Buddy Holly was honored in 2011, Roy Orbison in 2010 and George Harrison in 2009, among others -- are Janis Joplin and Luther Vandross.
Honorees in radio and live performance/theater, categories with no awards some years, were relatively well-represented. Olympia Dukakis and Penn & Teller were selected for live performance/theater, while radio recipients are “Shotgun Tom” Kelly and Steve Harvey, who also wrote the book that spawned this year’s Think Like A Man. The honorees this year do not include fictional characters.
Find the complete list of 2013 Walk of Fame star recipients below.
The Backstreet Boys
Janis Joplin (Posthumous)
New Kids On The Block
Usher Raymond IV
Luther Vandross (Posthumous)
Penn & Teller
“Shotgun Tom” Kelly
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama