North Korean Dictator Enjoys Walt Disney Characters Without Company's Blessing
A band dressed as Winnie the Pooh and Minnie Mouse recently performed for Kim Jong Un, but the conglomerate didn't authorize the use of its characters.
North Korean leader Kim Jong Un seems to enjoy Walt Disney characters, but not with the official green light from the entertainment conglomerate.
A North Korean band, whose members were dressed up as Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Minnie Mouse and other Disney characters, in early July performed in front of the dictator, while clips of Disney movies, such as Beauty and the Beast and Dumbo, played in the background, Bloomberg News reported. State-run TV network KRT showed Kim and a group of generals clapping along to the concert in the North Korean capital of Pyongyang, it said.
A Disney spokeswoman told THR though that the entertainment company didn’t authorize or agree to a license deal with the totalitarian state for the use of the company's characters. The Bloomberg report didn't say whether Disney could take any steps beyond commenting on the situation.
According to Bloomberg, the state-run Korean Central News Agency had not mentioned the Disney films or characters in its coverage of the concert by the band called Moranbong.
The agency reported that the concert was "prompted by a grandiose plan to bring about a dramatic turn in the field of literature and arts this year,” according to Bloomberg.
Kim, who succeeded his late father Kim Jong Il in December, has not reacted to U.S. and South Korean appeals to abandon North Korea’s long-running nuclear program.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack