50 Disney Interactive Employees Laid Off Amid Restructuring
The division, which consists of online and video game units, previously restructured 18 months ago in a move that resulted in 200 layoffs.
A restructuring Wednesday at Disney Interactive cost about 50 people their jobs, insiders said.
Disney Interactive consists of an online unit and a video game unit and employs about 2,000 people. According to people familiar with the restructuring, all of the layoffs came from the online side.
Disney Interactive's online portfolio includes Disney.com, DisneyFamily.com, BabyZone.com, Spoonful.com, Babble.com and other Internet sites.
Disney did not comment on the move.
In the Walt Disney Co's. most recent fiscal quarter, Disney Interactive was the only one of five units to post declining year-over-year revenue, with sales dropping 22 percent to $196 million, while its operating loss improved to $42 million from $86 million a year earlier.
Disney Interactive also restructured 18 months ago, a move that included laying off about 200 people.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'