Warren Buffett's Firm Reports Small Stake in DirecTV
The investor's Berkshire Hathaway disclosed that it owned nearly 4.25 million shares in the satellite TV giant as of Sept. 30.
NEW YORK - Legendary investor Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway in the third quarter bought a small stake in satellite TV operator DirecTV.
According to a regulatory filing, the conglomerate owned nearly 4.25 million shares worth $179.6 million as of Sept. 30, according to a regulatory filing on Monday that detailed the company's investments as of that date. At the end of the second quarter, it didn't own DirecTV shares, according to an older filing.
According to Bloomberg, DirecTV has 705.6 million shares outstanding, meaning Buffett's stake would amount to less than 1 percent of the satellite TV giant's public float. Still, the stake could be seen as a sign of confidence from one of the world's most closely followed investors that there is upside in DirecTV's stock.
Berkshire Hathaway's previously reported media holdings are newspaper companies Gannett and Washington Post. Exxon Mobil, General Electric, American Express and Dollar General are among the various other investments of the company.
DirecTV officials couldn't immediately be reached for comment. DirecTV's stock on Monday closed at $45.63, giving it a market value of $32.2 billion. Over the past year, the stock has traded between $39.12 and $53.40.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Jennifer Garner's Birthday Will Be Spent At A Talent Show
- Pharrell Williams Tells Oprah About The Big Mistake He Made On His First Solo Album (VIDEO)
- The First 'Orange Is The New Black' Season 2 Trailer Is Finally Here And It's Amazing
- A Bloods General Describes Gang Life In Exclusive Clip From Tribeca Film, 'Five Star'