Warsaw Film Festival Kicks Off
One of Central and Eastern Europe's main film events is to showcase 127 features and 97 shorts.
MOSCOW– The 27thedition of the Warsaw International Film Festival is to kick off on Oct. 7, featuring films from 59 countries, but with a traditional focus on Central and Eastern Europe.
Organizers hope that the parliamentary campaign in Poland won’t overshadow the country’s main cinema event. “We start two days before parliamentary elections in Poland and our opening night is the last night of the campaign, but I'm happy to say that despite the politics we are getting a very big media attention,” Stefan Laudyn, the festival’s director, told The Hollywood Reporter.
He added that the festival received a record number of submissions this year, 90 percent of which the selection committee had to turn down.
According to Laudyn, this year’s festival’s program is a combination of films by established filmmakers and first-time directors, while over 50 percent of the films in the International Competition are European, International or World premieres.
Among the highlights of the international competition are Rose by Polish director Wojtek Smarzowski, Beast by Denmark’s Christoffer Boe, the Romanian-Polish co-production Crulic – The Path to Beyond by Anca Damian, and Tomas Lunak’s Alois Nebel, jointly produced by the Czech Republic, Germany and Slovakia.
The winners are to be announced at the closing ceremony on Oct. 15. David Cronenberg’s A Dangerous Method will be the festival’s closing night film.
The CentEast Market is to be held as part of the festival on Oct. 14-16, showcasing recently completed films and works in progress by Central and Eastern European directors, including Kasia Roslaniec, Andrzej Jakimowski, Bohdan Slama, Boris Khlebnikov, and Ivan Vyrypaev.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead