'Weeds' Writer-Producer Wins Big at World Poker Tour
Matt Salsberg netted $500K at the event in Paris: "It's comparable to getting a show picked up."
This story first appeared in the Oct. 5 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
In a rare feat for a nonpro, Weeds writer-producer Matt Salsberg won the five-day World Poker Tour's Grand Prix de Paris tournament at the city's historic Aviation Club on Sept. 15, netting more than $500,000.
Salsberg, who has Whales, a new series about the high-stakes global poker scene, in development at Showtime -- "Think Entourage meets The Big Bang Theory" -- is a longtime hobbyist card shark.
His jargon-jammed patois ("stone bubble," "gut shot") might be unintelligible to an outsider, but he's eloquent about his victory. "It's comparable to getting a show picked up," he says.
"You put in years and years of work -- that '10,000 hours' of practice. Then, suddenly, you're an overnight success."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR