Westboro Baptist Church Says It Will Picket Cory Monteith Funeral
GLAAD spokesman Wilson Cruz calls it a "shameful and vile display of hatred."
Kansas-based hate group the Westboro Baptist Church is threatening to picket the funeral of Cory Monteith, the star of Fox’s Glee, who was discovered dead on Saturday in his Vancouver hotel room.
The group has issued dozens of hateful, anti-LGBT tweets since learning of Monteith’s shocking death at age 31. The tweets, which tag the Twitter accounts of Monteith’s Glee co-stars, celebrate his death.
“PRAISE GOD ALMIGHTY for killing Cory Monteith -- a wicked f-g-enabling sinner!” reads one. “Westboro Baptist Church to picket this funeral.”
The group stages outrageous protests geared toward maximum shock value and publicity, regularly showing up at the funerals of fallen servicemen, celebrities and innocent crime victims. Westboro did not follow through with recent pledges to picket the funerals of Roger Ebert, the child victims of Newtown and the Boston bombing victims, however.
"This shameful and vile display of hatred won't overshadow the kindness and compassion Cory displayed in his unwavering commitment to equality for all," GLAAD spokesperson Wilson Cruz tells The Hollywood Reporter. "Our thoughts remain with his family, cast members and friends during this difficult time."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game