WGA West Members to Vote on Constitutional Amendments
The amendments would update the guild’s voting procedures.
Members of the WGA West will be asked in April to vote on proposed amendments to the union’s constitution and bylaws, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The amendments are of a technical nature, with the most significant being rescheduling the organization’s annual meeting from September to April.
The other amendments would allow for online voting and require each guild member to supply an e-mail address, and would create a three-member election committee.
The amendments were announced in a recent mailing to guild members and discussed at a member meeting last week. The mailing quoted board member Carleton Eastlake as saying, “The Guild is known for being one of the most genuinely democratic of the guilds.”
A second mailing is to go out sometime soon, with possible revisions to the proposed language. A third mailing will be sent in late April and will include the ratification ballot and pro and con statements (which any member may submit). Ballots will be counted on or around May 15.
To be enacted, an amendment must receive the approval of “two-thirds (2/3) of the current members in good standing.” That’s a higher standard than 2/3 of those voting.
The WGA did not respond to a request for comment on the Presidents Day holiday.
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
Email: jhandel99 at gmail dot com
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least