WGA West Members to Vote on Constitutional Amendments
The amendments would update the guild’s voting procedures.
Members of the WGA West will be asked in April to vote on proposed amendments to the union’s constitution and bylaws, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The amendments are of a technical nature, with the most significant being rescheduling the organization’s annual meeting from September to April.
The other amendments would allow for online voting and require each guild member to supply an e-mail address, and would create a three-member election committee.
The amendments were announced in a recent mailing to guild members and discussed at a member meeting last week. The mailing quoted board member Carleton Eastlake as saying, “The Guild is known for being one of the most genuinely democratic of the guilds.”
A second mailing is to go out sometime soon, with possible revisions to the proposed language. A third mailing will be sent in late April and will include the ratification ballot and pro and con statements (which any member may submit). Ballots will be counted on or around May 15.
To be enacted, an amendment must receive the approval of “two-thirds (2/3) of the current members in good standing.” That’s a higher standard than 2/3 of those voting.
The WGA did not respond to a request for comment on the Presidents Day holiday.
Bookmark The Hollywood Reporter’s Labor Page for the most in-depth coverage of entertainment unions and guilds.
Email: jhandel99 at gmail dot com
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!