'When We Leave' is German Oscar submission
Star Sibel Kekilli won Lola award for performance
COLOGNE, Germany -- "When We Leave," a film about honor killings in Berlin's Turkish community, will be Germany's official candidate for the 2011 Best Foreign Film Oscar.
The debut feature from director Feo Aladag, "When We Leave" features the comeback performance of Sibel Kekilli ("Head-On"). She plays Umay, a young mother who leaves her abusive husband only to be ostracized, then threatened, by her traditional Turkish family.
The role won Kekilli won the Best Actress prize at Tribeca as well as the German Academy Award, or Lola, earlier this year. "When We Leave" also won best feature honors in Tribeca and has made the long list of best picture nominees for this year's European Film Awards.
Olive Films picked up "When We Leave" for the U.S. earlier this month.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences will announce the shortlist for Best Foreign- Language Film on January 18 and the final five nominees on Jan. 25. The 2011 Oscars will be awarded on Feb. 27.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR