THR's Must-Reads of the Week: 'White House Down,' James Gandolfini Tributes
A look back at the week that was in entertainment.
Between industry dinners, premiere parties and countless meetings, here's what you may have missed this week in entertainment news.
Cover Story: In this week's issue of The Hollywood Reporter, executive editor, features, Stephen Galloway takes an in-depth look at Sony's summer gamble with the superhero-free film White House Down, starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx. Meanwhile, with James Gandolfini's untimely death, THR chose to commemorate the actor in a split run with tributes from The Sopranos creator David Chase, The Newsroom star Jeff Daniels, Starz CEO and former HBO head Chris Albrecht, God of Carnage co-star Marcia Gay Harden and more.
Emmy Season: With nominations to be announced less than a month away, on July 18, senior editor Stacey Wilson spotlights how Netflix is upping the campaign ante by providing free lunches and signs on private yards in L.A. -- some placed in exchange for Netflix subscription coupons or Starbucks gift cards.
ESPN's John Skipper on Sports Rights, Layoffs and Keith Olbermann: The one-time wannabe literary editor on overseeing Disney's $40 billion asset and the potential return of Olbermann: "We don't have a policy here that you can never come back."
Ray Donovan Executive Producer Bryan Zuriff's High-Stakes Poker Games: The rich Hollywood wannabe was on the verge of success until he was arrested and handcuffed for allegedly being involved with an international gambling and money-laundering scheme worth more than $100 million.
TV Review: THR TV critic Tim Goodman calls FX's serial-killer drama The Bridge "a mandatory viewing for drama lovers."
Film Review: THR film and theater critic David Rooney describes Sony's White House Down as having "scant originality here, but witnessing America's hearth and home under siege still brings an emotional frisson to the silly thrills."
News in Review:
TV News of the Week:
Film News of the Week
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Echoes Of The Outlaw Roadshow: Talking with Counting Crows' Adam Duritz and Toad The Wet Spocket's Glen Phillips
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead