Who Gets GLAAD Approval?
ABC and the CW score high for onscreen gay and lesbian inclusion.
Thanks to teen dramas like Pretty Little Liars, the Disney-owned ABC Family network has earned a rare "excellent" rating from GLAAD in its fifth annual "responsibility index." ABC Family becomes only the second net to receive the mark from the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender watchdog group, which reviews programming on the five broadcast networks and 10 major cablers for the quality and quantity of LGBT characters. The CW remains on top among broadcast nets. Says GLAAD executive Herndon Graddick, "Much like ABC Family, the CW is a youth-oriented network that recognizes that being LGBT-inclusive is instrumental in crafting programs that the younger generation can relate to."
Ranking the Broadcast Networks 2010-11*
The CW's and Fox's inclusion of LGBT characters earned high marks
- The CW: 33% -- Good
- Fox: 29% -- Good
- ABC: 23% -- Good
- NBC: 15% -- Adequate
- CBS: 10% -- Adequate
Ranking the Cable Networks 2010-11*
ABC Family was the only cabler to receive an "excellent" rating
- ABC Family: 55% -- Excellent
- Showtime: 37%-- Good
- TNT: 33%-- Good
- HBO: 31%-- Good
- AMC: 29%-- Good
- Syfy: 22%-- Good
- FX: 19%-- Adequate
- USA: 18%-- Adequate
- A&E: 5%-- Failing
- TBS: 5%-- Failing
* Listed by percentage of LGBT-inclusive hours of primetime programming.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR