Ex-Wilco player Jay Bennett overdosed
Sued band for royalties before his deathURBANA, Ill. -- Authorities say former Wilco guitarist Jay Bennett died of an overdose of the pain killer, and that they're investigating his death as an accident.
Champaign County Coroner Duane Northrup says tests show the 45-year-old musician died from fentanyl. The drug is found in patches commonly prescribed to treat chronic pain.
Bennett died May 24 after being found unresponsive in his home in Urbana.
He worked as a sound engineer and played instruments for Wilco from 1994 to 2001.
Bennett sued Wilco lead singer Jeff Tweedy in early May. Bennett claimed he was owed royalties for songs during his seven years with the group.
Bennett was born in the Chicago suburb of Rolling Meadows and graduated from the University of Illinois.