Will.i.am Executive Producing New Britney Spears Album
The two collaborated on the song "Scream & Shout," which reached the Top 5 of the Billboard Hot 100 chart and led off Will.I.Am's fourth solo album, "#willpower."
Britney Spears and Will.i.am are apparently taking their penchant for collaboration to a new level: according to the Black Eyed Peas frontman, Spears' follow-up to 2011's Femme Fatale will be executive-produced by none other than her "Scream & Shout" co-lead.
"After I did a song on Femme Fatale -- 'Big Fat Bass' -- and then we did 'Scream & Shout,' she really liked the way we worked because of my approach," Will.i.am told Rolling Stone during a Hollywood event to promote his Ekocycle renewable energy program on Tuesday night (Apr. 30). "So they asked me to be involved in, not producing and writing every song, but to be an executive producer on the songs."
WIll.i.am recruited Spears for "Scream & Shout," which reached the Top 5 of the Hot 100 chart and led his fourth solo album, #willpower. After that successful team-up, the producer and pop superstar worked together for three months on Spears' eighth studio LP ("Femme Fatale" was largely produced by Max Martin, Lukasz "Dr. Luke" Gottwald and their various cohorts).
"We can't do another song about going on the dance floor," Will.i.am continued. "Really? Didn't we see a bunch of Britney doing that already? Don't we want to see something that comes from her heart?"
Although Will.i.am did not give an timeframe for the album's release, he did say that he plans to tour behind #willpower -- which debuts at No. 9 on this week's Billboard 200 chart -- in September, although probably not in the U.S. His current single from the album, "#thatPOWER," features Justin Bieber.
Meanwhile, Spears will return with "Ooh La La," a new single to be featured on the soundtrack to The Smurfs 2.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama