Will and Jada Pinkett Smith Sell Comedy to ABC (Exclusive)
The project centers on a Dominican-American who is torn between his traditional roots and his ideas about what it means to be successful in America.
ABC has nabbed a multicamera comedy from Will and Jada Pinkett Smith.
The pair, along with long-time business partner James Lassiter, have sold the Untitled Romeo Project, with singer Anthony "Romeo" Santos tapped to star.
The project, which hails from ABC Studios and their Overbrook Entertainment, centers on a charasmatic Dominican-American (Romeo) from Washington Heights, who tries to please his very traditional, immigrant father while also creating a life that reflects his new vision of the American Dream. (While the character differs significantly from the singer's real life, the father-son relationship is reminiscent of Romeo's with his father.)
Chris Pappas and Mike Bernier (Unhitched, One Night Stan) will serve as writers and executive producers on the project, with the Smiths and Lassiter attached as non-writing executive producers.
If ultimately ordered to series, it would join a growing cadre of Smith projects, including films The Karate Kid and The Secret Life of Bees, along with Broadway's Fela! and TNT's since-canceled Hawthorne.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR