William H. Macy Narrates New Documentary on William Randolph Hearst (Video)
Documentary includes interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Mark Burnett, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Dan Rather, Bob Iger, Dr. Oz, Heidi Klum, and Leonard Maltin, among others.
The story of the legendary rise of newspaper publisher William Randolph Hearst and his Hearst Corporation, the inspiration behind Orson Welles' iconic 1941 film Citizen Kane, is coming to theatres in a new feature documentary.
Citizen Hearst, narrated by Shameless star William H. Macy, explores the 125-year history of the Hearst Corporation, from Hearst’s passion about newspapers’ influence on public opinion to the worldwide influence of the company’s multimedia brands and diversified businesses spanning two centuries.
The first in-depth documentary about the Hearst Corporation is directed by Leslie Iwerks (The Pixar Story) and is produced by Iwerks and Jane Kelly Kosek. The film features interviews with Oprah Winfrey, Mark Burnett, Ralph Lauren, Donna Karan, Dan Rather, Walt Disney Company chairman Bob Iger, film critic Leonard Maltin, Dr. Oz, Heidi Klum, and several descendants of W.R. Hearst, among others.
The film includes never-before-seen footage of the company, from within the glass windows of the historic Hearst Tower in New York City to inside the famous Hearst Castle in California.
In a statement, Iwerks says, “Citizen Hearst explores the creative genius and sharp foresight that has been handed down from one Hearst leader to the next, all in the pursuit of innovation across all media platforms. Hearst has always believed in its creative people to build and expand the organization. The film follows the thread that began with the unprecedented vision and risks of William Randolph Hearst and continues under the leadership of CEO Frank Bennack today.”
Commenting on the film, Frank A. Bennack, Jr., CEO of Hearst Corporation, says, “It is clear today that we are a very different company than 125 years ago, but in one sense Hearst has not changed at all: Our mission is still to inform, entertain and inspire. This is the first time our story is told in film, from William Randolph Hearst’s first Examiner edition to the global information company we are today. Citizen Hearst is a documentary 125 years in the making — we are all ‘Citizen Hearsts’ in a sense, informed by journalism and media that W.R. Hearst is responsible for creating.”
The documentary will premiere in October at the 2012 Hamptons International Film Festival.
View the trailer below:
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)