William Shatner, Movie Central partner on doc
Directed by Shatner, actor's bio feature, 'Captains,' due in '11
BANFF, Alberta -- The world knows William Shatner as the former "Star Trek" captain.
Canadians know Shatner for his Montreal roots and early classic stage career in Stratford, Ontario.
So Canadian pay TV channel Movie Central will combine those two worlds in "The Captains," a feature documentary that captures Shatner's career arc to overnight success as Captain James T. Kirk.
Movie Central will partner with Shatner's production shingle Melis Productions and Ballinran Productions on the Canadian project, to be directed by Shatner and executive produced by David Zappone and Craig Thompson.
"The Captains" will start production in July for broadcast in winter 2011.
Movie Central also acquired the Canadian broadcast rights to "William Shatner's Gonzo Ballet," which features a ballet by Margo Sappington set to music from Shatner, and which was produced by Special Entertainment, Big Screen Entertainment and Melis Productions.
News of Movie Central's "The Captains" follows Shatner returning to TV with the new CBS sitcom "$#*! My Dad Says," and hosting a salute to Canuck films for the Canadian Broadcasting Corp.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama