Winona Ryder Reveals Anti-Semitic Run-In With Mel Gibson
Years before Mel Gibson ranted that "Jews were responsible for all the wars in the world" during his 2006 DUI arrest, the actor-director revealed his anti-Semitic side to Winona Ryder at a Hollywood party.
The actress, who is Jewish, tells GQ that Gibson made a disparaging remark to her face about her religion at a mid-'90s gathering, "He was really drunk. Somehow it came up that I was Jewish. He said something about 'oven dodgers,' but I didn't get it. I'd never heard that before. It was just this weird, weird moment."
A friend accompanying Ryder to the party was also targeted by Gibson. Ryder said, "I was with my friend, who's gay. He made a really horrible gay joke. I was like, 'He's anti-Semitic and he's homophobic.' No one believed me!"
Ryder received two SAG Award nominations Thursday: outstanding lead actress for the TV movie When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story and a best ensemble nom as part of the Black Swan cast.
Gibson will be back in theaters in March in the Jodie Foster-directed film The Beaver.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)