Box-Office Milestone: 'Wolf of Wall Street' Becomes Martin Scorsese's Top-Grossing Film
UPDATED: Fueled by the U.S. and Europe, the Oscar-nominated film has raced past the $300 million mark at the worldwide box office.
BERLIN – Martin Scorsese's The Wolf of Wall Street has become the prolific filmmaker's top-grossing film at the worldwide box office, not accounting for inflation.
Over the weekend, the Oscar-nominated movie -- starring Leonardo DiCaprio as debauched Wall Street broker Jordan Belfort -- raced past the $300 million mark, eclipsing the $294.8 million grossed by Shutter Island.
Domestically, Wolf of Wall Street has earned $107.9 million to date. Overseas, it has taken in $196.9 million for a global total of $304.9 million. The results are especially impressive considering the film's three-hour running time and restrictive ratings.
The film's performance is a victory for Red Granite Pictures, which fully financed the $100 million movie, as well as Paramount, which is handling the film in North America and Japan.
The movie -- a tougher sell in Asia and other parts of the world where there is high levels of censorship -- is a boon for many of the independent foreign distributors who bought rights to it from Red Granite.
Wolf has absolutely dazzled in France, earning $25.1 million for Metropolitan. In the U.K./Ireland, it has taken in $29.3 million and in Germany, $23.7 million (United Pictures International picked up rights in both those markets). The movie also has earned $12.9 million in Spain and $11.4 million in Italy.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress