'Wolf of Wall Street's' Margot Robbie on Nailing Her Brooklyn Accent, Lying About Movie's Nudity (Video)
The Australian actress tells Jimmy Kimmel how she was able to talk like a woman from Bay Ridge and what she told her family about her many scantily clad scenes.
In The Wolf of Wall Street, Jordan Belfort's wife Naomi has a thick Brooklyn accent, but in real-life, the actress who plays Naomi, Margot Robbie, is from Australia.
Her accent in the film is so convincing that when she appeared on Tuesday's Jimmy Kimmel Live!, the host said he was surprised to learn she was Australian.
Robbie revealed the secret to her fake Brooklyn accent involved pretending that she'd just had a manicure, saying that her acting coach instructed her as they were preparing for the scene to "pretend that you've got acrylic nails on and they've just been painted so they're still wet."
"I was like, 'OK, cool, so how do I do the accent?' And she was like, 'Just do it!' " Robbie explained.
And somehow the accent just came over her, Robbie revealed as she started talking with her hands out, waving them around.
"This attitude just came out of nowhere," she said in her Brooklyn accent.
Robbie also explained what she told her small-town family about her nudity in the film, which evolved from a complete lie to saying she had a body double to telling them the truth.
"I just flat-out lied to my family for a really long time and I said, 'I don't care what you hear; there's no nudity; I'm not doing any nudity. Ignore anything anyone's saying; there's no nudity,' " she explained. "And then I thought, 'The movie's going to come out and they're going to see that there's nudity,' so I changed that to 'It's actually a body double and they just CGI'd my head onto someone else.' And my family doesn't have anything to do with the entertainment industry … and they were like, 'They can do that? And I was like, 'Oh, technology these days. You wouldn't believe what they do in Hollywood!'
"And then eventually I came clean: 'I'm doing nudity, but you should read the book first, and if you still want to see the movie after reading the book …' "
The actress also revealed how in her first meeting with her Management 360 rep, she told him how she won a competitive eating contest in Australia by consuming four pounds of spaghetti bolognese and ended up projectile vomiting, much to the horror of her Australian agent. But the manager signed her anyway.
Watch clips of Robbie's interview with Kimmel below.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'