Woman Dies Outside Linkin Park Concert
An advertising tower collapses in a Cape Town parking lot, killing one fan and injuring 19 others.
One woman died and 19 other fans were injured outside a Linkin Park concert in Cape Town, South Africa on Wednesday after scaffolding collapsed during high winds.
The accident occurred in the parking area outside Cape Town Stadium before the band's performance, which went on as scheduled. Photos in South African media show a toppled advertising tower for the energy drink company Lucozade.
"Following our performance tonight at Cape Town Stadium, we were advised that several people were injured as a result of the collapse of an advertising tower erected by Lucozade in the parking area outside the venue.
We wish to express our deep sadness and concern for those injured and our heartfelt condolences to the family of the fan who died as a result of her injuries.
Though we have had no relationship with the sponsor or the entity responsible for erecting the structure, we take the safety of our fans very seriously and our thoughts are with all of those who were affected by this tragedy."
Big Concerts, which organized the concert, released a statement expressing their "deepest sympathies and condolences" to the victims and their families.
According to News24.com, a police investigation has been launched to probe whether the proper permits and procedures were taken when erecting the tower.
Linkin Park now heads to Johannesburg for a show on Nov. 10.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least