Wong Kar Wai to head Shanghai jury
16 films, two Chinese, to compete for top prize
SHANGHAI -- Wong Kar Wai will chair the jury at the 11th Shanghai International Film Festvial, where two Chinese movies will join 14 overseas titles competing for the top Jin Jue, or Golden Cup, award, organizers said Thursday.
Wong was named to step in to replace the late Anthony Minghella, the British director who died in March.
Minghella will be honored at the June 14-22 festival with a retrospective of his work. Also showing will be Wong's latest movie, "Ashes of Time Redux."
Joining the Hong Kong auteur and director of "My Blueberry Nights" on the jury will be German producer Ulrich Felsberg, Japanese director and actress Kaori Momoi, Israeli actress Gila Almagor, Chinese director Huo Jianqi, Chinese actress Joan Chen and Danish director Bille August.
The finalists for the Jin Jue Award also include 10 European films, five from elsewhere in Asia-Pacific and one from Argentina.
The two Chinese competition films are "Nick of Time" by director Gao Qunshu of Hebei Province and "Urtin Duu" by Hasichaolu, who, as an ethnic Mongol, goes by one name.
The festival will screen 260 movies in 23 cinemas around Shanghai, including Oscar winners "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood."
Opening and closing films have yet to be announced.
The festival is one of the few times that citizens of China's biggest city and commercial hub can view scores of imported films on the big screen. Law limits to 20 the number of imports allowed each year.
The SIFF Jin Jue Award competition films are:
"Mukha" by Vladimir Kott, Russia
"The Viceroys" by Roberto Faenza, Italy
"Women's Conspiracies" by Vassilis Vafeas, Greece
"8 Days to Premiere" by Perttu Leppa, Finland
"My Mother's Tears" by Alejandro Cardenas-A, Germany
"The Friend" by Micha Lewinsky, Switzerland
"The Taste of Fish" by Shingo Matsubara, Japan
"Love by Accident" by Ines Braun, Argentina
"Forever the Moment" by Yim Soon-rye, Korea
"Loss" by Maris Martinsons, Lithuania
"+1" by Oksana Bychkova, Russia
"Vaclav" by Jiri Vejdelek, Czech Republic
"Second-hand Wedding" by Paul Murphy, New Zealand
"Paris" by Cedric Klapisch, France
"Nick of Time" by Gao Qunshu, China
"Urtin Duu" by Hasichaolu, China
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Emmy Rossum & Zoey Deutch Celebrate with Jimmy Choo at their CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Zoe Saldana Is Pregnant with Fear in 'Rosemary's Baby' Trailer!
- Television Legend Valerie Harper 'Absolutely Cancer Free' After Battle with Terminal Brain Cancer
- Keri Russell's 'The Americans' Renewed for Third Season by FX!