Wong Kar Wai to head Shanghai jury
16 films, two Chinese, to compete for top prize
SHANGHAI -- Wong Kar Wai will chair the jury at the 11th Shanghai International Film Festvial, where two Chinese movies will join 14 overseas titles competing for the top Jin Jue, or Golden Cup, award, organizers said Thursday.
Wong was named to step in to replace the late Anthony Minghella, the British director who died in March.
Minghella will be honored at the June 14-22 festival with a retrospective of his work. Also showing will be Wong's latest movie, "Ashes of Time Redux."
Joining the Hong Kong auteur and director of "My Blueberry Nights" on the jury will be German producer Ulrich Felsberg, Japanese director and actress Kaori Momoi, Israeli actress Gila Almagor, Chinese director Huo Jianqi, Chinese actress Joan Chen and Danish director Bille August.
The finalists for the Jin Jue Award also include 10 European films, five from elsewhere in Asia-Pacific and one from Argentina.
The two Chinese competition films are "Nick of Time" by director Gao Qunshu of Hebei Province and "Urtin Duu" by Hasichaolu, who, as an ethnic Mongol, goes by one name.
The festival will screen 260 movies in 23 cinemas around Shanghai, including Oscar winners "No Country for Old Men" and "There Will Be Blood."
Opening and closing films have yet to be announced.
The festival is one of the few times that citizens of China's biggest city and commercial hub can view scores of imported films on the big screen. Law limits to 20 the number of imports allowed each year.
The SIFF Jin Jue Award competition films are:
"Mukha" by Vladimir Kott, Russia
"The Viceroys" by Roberto Faenza, Italy
"Women's Conspiracies" by Vassilis Vafeas, Greece
"8 Days to Premiere" by Perttu Leppa, Finland
"My Mother's Tears" by Alejandro Cardenas-A, Germany
"The Friend" by Micha Lewinsky, Switzerland
"The Taste of Fish" by Shingo Matsubara, Japan
"Love by Accident" by Ines Braun, Argentina
"Forever the Moment" by Yim Soon-rye, Korea
"Loss" by Maris Martinsons, Lithuania
"+1" by Oksana Bychkova, Russia
"Vaclav" by Jiri Vejdelek, Czech Republic
"Second-hand Wedding" by Paul Murphy, New Zealand
"Paris" by Cedric Klapisch, France
"Nick of Time" by Gao Qunshu, China
"Urtin Duu" by Hasichaolu, China
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack