Woody Allen Doc Reveals Bright Side to Public Affair: It Made Him Less 'Bland' (Video)
The director opened up about his scandalous departure from Mia Farrow in the '90s, when he left the actress for her adopted daughter, Soon-Yi.
In the second installment of PBS' American Masters documentary about Woody Allen, the director spoke candidly about the public fallout from his 1992 affair with then-partner Mia Farrow's adopted daughter (via Jezebel).
Now married to Soon-Yi for 14 years, Allen seems to remain a bit surprised by all the fuss over his love life.
"Believe it or not, I didn't think I was that famous to warrant such coverage," he said. "Everybody had an opinion about my private life which i felt they were all free to have."
And it wasn't all that bad. Allen mentioned an unexpected silver lining to all of the public condemnation for his May-December romance.
"Apparently it was good juicy story, a very juicy story," he said. "It took a little edge off my natural blandness."
Still, Allen addressed the scandal's worst effects, his custody battle with Farrow over their three children.
Allen's frequent collaborator, casting director Juliet Taylor, added that the director remained committed to his work while going through the legal proceedings.
"It was almost as if Woody has dreaded so many bad things happening to him in life," she said, "that when something really bad did happen to him, he was totally prepared."
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!