Working Title developing live 'Mermaid'
English-language live-action adaptation with Joe Wright
LONDON -- Working Title Films is teaming with director Joe Wright to develop a live-action movie version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale "The Little Mermaid."
The script -- for what will be the first English-language live-action adaptation of the tale -- has been penned by Abi Morgan ("Brick Lane") for Working Title and Wright.
It tells the classic tale of a young mermaid who gives up her life in the sea to love a human prince.
Andersen's story was first published in 1837 and has been adapted numerous times for stage and screen. Wright's version is inspired by a children's puppet theatre production of the classic at London's Little Angel Theatre Company, backers said.
Working Title's co-chairmen Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner announced the plans.
The project brings Wright back into the Working Title stable having made his first three movies with them, "Pride & Prejudice," "Atonement" and "The Soloist."
Wright is currently in post-production on the Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana starrer "Hanna" for Focus Features.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR