Working Title developing live 'Mermaid'
English-language live-action adaptation with Joe Wright
LONDON -- Working Title Films is teaming with director Joe Wright to develop a live-action movie version of Hans Christian Andersen's fairytale "The Little Mermaid."
The script -- for what will be the first English-language live-action adaptation of the tale -- has been penned by Abi Morgan ("Brick Lane") for Working Title and Wright.
It tells the classic tale of a young mermaid who gives up her life in the sea to love a human prince.
Andersen's story was first published in 1837 and has been adapted numerous times for stage and screen. Wright's version is inspired by a children's puppet theatre production of the classic at London's Little Angel Theatre Company, backers said.
Working Title's co-chairmen Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner announced the plans.
The project brings Wright back into the Working Title stable having made his first three movies with them, "Pride & Prejudice," "Atonement" and "The Soloist."
Wright is currently in post-production on the Saoirse Ronan, Cate Blanchett and Eric Bana starrer "Hanna" for Focus Features.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR