World Cup: Luis Suarez Tweets Apology for Biting Incident

11:01 AM PST 06/30/2014 by Agustin Mango
AP Photo/Hassan Ammar
Luis Suarez, Giorgio Chiellini

"I deeply regret what happened," said the Liverpool player, who apologized to biting victim Giorgio Chiellini and "the entire soccer family."

BUENOS AIRES – Uruguayan star player Luis Suarez finally said sorry today for biting Italian player Giorgio Chiellini in what has been the biggest scandal so far of the 2014 World Cup. 

PHOTOS World Cup 2014: Top 11 Shocks and Surprises of the Tournament

The star striker, who was not booked during the match but received a stiff four-month ban from soccer governing body FIFA for the attack, took to Twitter Monday for the very public apology.

On his official account @luis16suarez, the Liverpool player wrote simply "My apologies" and a link to a message that reads:

PHOTOS World Cup: Craziest and Most Colorful Fans

Before now, Suarez and many in the Uruguayan media have defended the striker, claiming, despite the video evidence, that he didn't actually bite Chiellini.

PHOTOS The Most Infamous Moments in World Cup History

After the FIFA ban, many of Suarez's supporters, not least the millions of fans of his club, Liverpool, took to social media to decry the ruling as unfair and extreme.

comments powered by Disqus