the world digest

Empty

'WuDang' plan

HONG KONG — The Hong Kong Film Development Council has approved funding for the first two films to receive government subsidies from its $38.4 million Film Development Fund. The two films are "Claustrophobia" and the animated tale "McDull WuDang." Each will have 30% of their production budget paid for through the FDF, with total government financing for the two projects at $692,000. The FDF's vetting committee stressed that funding will cover all film genres, so long as they believe the film has commercial appeal.



Green speak

PARIS — David de Rothschild, Kevin Wall and Yann Arthus-Bertrand will take the MIPTV stage to talk about environmental issues on April 7, organizers said Thursday. British adventurer de Rothschild will give a keynote discussing his collaboration with Nickelodeon U.K. on the kids ecological series "Nick's Big Green Thing." Wall, founder and CEO of Live Earth, will give another keynote focusing on the Live Earth concerts held July 7. And French photographer and documentarian Arthus-Bertrand will host a debate titled "TV Production: How to Make It Green?"



Cinemaphile

MEXICO CITY — Empresarios Industriales de Mexico, the investment vehicle of Mexican mining baron German Larrea, plans to acquire an 80% stake in MMCinemas —Mexico's second-largest chain — within 90 days, an MMCinemas spokesperson said Thursday. Additionally, it has an option to buy the remaining 20% share at a later date. Monterrey, Mexico-based MMCinemas declined to disclose financial details. The buyout requires approval from federal regulatory authorities.
comments powered by Disqus