Worldwide Pants Nabs Big-Screen Rights to Jonathan Evison's Novel 'The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving'
"Late Show With David Letterman" exec producer Rob Burnett will adapt and direct the film.
Worldwide Pants, Rob Burnett and Jon Beckerman have secured big-screen rights to Jonathan Evison’s novel The Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving.
Burnett, an executive producer on Late Show With David Letterman, will adapt and direct the film as a follow-up to his recently released feature film debut We Made This Movie, which is currently available on digital platforms including iTunes. Beckerman is a longtime Late Show writer.
The story centers on Benjamin Benjamin, a man who has lost virtually everything -- his wife, his family, his home, his livelihood. With few options, he enrolls in a night class called "The Fundamentals of Caregiving," taught in the basement of a local church. There Benjamin is instructed in the art of inserting catheters and avoiding liability, about professionalism and how to keep physical and emotional distance between client and provider. Assigned to care for a teen patient, he realizes his training has done little to prepare him for the realities of caregiving. Ultimately, the two embark upon a road trip across the American West.
Algonquin published Revised Fundamentals of Caregiving in August. Evison is also the author of the New York Times best-seller West of Here.
"When I read Jonathan's novel I was thoroughly impressed by his careful and skillful handling of such delicate material," Burnett said. "In lesser hands the book would have been maudlin, but Jonathan miraculously infuses a heartbreaking story with inspiration, hope and even comedy."
Worldwide Pants is the New York-based production company behind Late Show With David Letterman and such films as Friends With Candy.
CAA repped Evison, Burnett and Beckerman’s B&B Prods., a subsidiary of Worldwide Pants. Evison was additionally handled by Foundry Literary & Media.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'