WWE Extends Partnership With Mattel Toys for Five-Year Deal
WWE announced a business tag team with Mattel toys to extend their partnership with a multiyear extension through 2019.
The WWE and Mattel Inc. announced a multiyear extension for their toy licensing agreement on Friday.
The new deal will see the professional wrestling powerhouse paired with the toy company, whose best-selling brand includes Barbie and Hot Wheels, through 2019.
Mattel has created WWE action figures since 2009, with designs including FlexForce figures to mimic the real-life wrestlers' moves in the ring, plus a line of plush Brawlin' Buddies in the form of stars such as Jon Cena and The Rock.
"WWE and Mattel's action figure line is consistently ranked in the top two thanks to our creative marketing campaigns, tremendous retail support and seamless infusion of cutting-edge innovations," said Doug Wadleigh, senior vp global brands marketing, boys and entertainment, for Mattel in a statement.
"We are excited to continue our partnership with WWE as they expand their global footprint and leverage our global scale to deliver WWE toys to kids around the world."
Earlier this year, the WWE announced that they will be expanding the franchise online with a 24-hour streaming network set to launch in the U.S. on Monday, Feb. 24.
The online network will feature original programming, including reality shows, documentaries, classic matches and more than 1,500 hours of video on demand when it launches. Among the original programs are pre- and post-shows for Monday Night Raw and Friday Night SmackDown. WWE Network will also include 12 WWE live pay per view events, including WrestleMania, for $9.99 per month with a six-month commitment.
Meanwhile, iconic Mattel blonde bombshell Barbie caused a stir this week when she appeared in the new Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue, where she posed alongside cover girls Chrissy Teigen, Nina Agdal and Lily Aldridge.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Film Festival Unveils Star-Studded Lineup for 67th Edition
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Will Hillary & Bill Clinton's Daughter Chelsea Be Running for Office?
- Zac Efron Gives a Lap Dance, Admits to 'Plowing' Lots of Chicks in Comedy Central Funny Video - Watch Now!
- Miley Cyrus Will 'Remain Hospitalized' After 'Extreme' Reaction to Sinus Infection Antibiotics
- Taylor Swift Steps Out for Ingrid Michaelson Concert in Brooklyn!