Wyclef Jean Wasn’t Shot; Cut Hand on Glass, Say Police
10:44 AM PDT 3/21/2011 by Mark Cina
He is recovering after being treated for a a superficial wound in Haiti over the weekend.
Police in Haiti are shooting down reports that Wyclef Jean was shot in Port-au-Prince Saturday, the night before the runoff election that will determine Haiti's new president.Petionville Police Chief Vanel Lacroix tells Reuters Jean cut his hand on glass, according to doctors. Jean told CNN he heard "the sound of the booms" and was "grazed by a bullet." His Fugees bandmate Pras Michel also Tweeted that Jean had been shot but stressed: "Everyone can relax Wyclef is fine... They can't stop us not one bullet or a machine gun!!!!!!!" Jean was treated for a superficial wound at a local hospital and released with a bandaged hand. Jean previously planned to run for president in Haiti, but officials there barred his candidacy since he lives primarily in New Jersey. The results of the runoff election, which is between former first lady Mirlande Manigat and singer Michel Martelly, will be released Apr. 16.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR