X Japan's Yoshiki on His Hollywood Inspiration for Golden Globes Theme (Audio)
The awards show will feature new music for the first time in 15 years. "It has some classical elements and a rock vibe as well,” the Japanese rock star tells THR of his composition.
He’s one of the Far East's biggest rock stars, and on Sunday’s Golden Globes (NBC), Yoshiki, frontman for X Japan, will take on a behind-the-scenes role as composer of the show’s new theme song.
“My inspiration was Hollywood,” Yoshiki tells THR. “I tried to combine the old glamour and the flashy Hollywood so the piece has some classical elements and a rock vibe as well.”
Working out of sound studios in Los Angeles and Tokyo, Yoshiki gathered a 35-piece orchestra along with a slew of engineers and technicians for a month of recording. “It was the holiday season, so it took longer and was a little harder to gather all those people,” he says. That may explain why Yoshiki ended up playing so many instruments himself. “I played everything -- drums, bass, guitar, and piano.”
His time commitment to working on the Globes theme also ended up sidetracking X Japan's long-anticipated English-language album. Says Yoshiki: “It’s 90 percent done. Several things happened -- we just finished the world tour in mid-November and then the Golden Globes opportunity came up and I had to do it. It will be released in 2012 for sure.”
Until then, fans can look forward to seeing Yoshiki in the flesh as a Golden Globes attendee. Which movie is he rooting for? “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo was very, very interesting,” he says. “I think the music in the movie was excellent. I was there last year at the Golden Globes when [Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross] were nominated for The Social Network. It was great that they won.”
Hear a snippet of the Golden Globes theme song, the show's first new composition in 15 years, below:
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Watch These Grooving 'Grannies' Get Down Before Running Marathons For A Good Cause
- David Alan Grier's 'How To Tell Black People Apart' Is Just What The World Needs
- Debbie Allen Knows There Won't Be Diversity On TV Until We Meld Into One Melting Pot Of A Race
- Nikki Reed Talks 'In Your Eyes,' 'Twilight' And More With Co-Star Michael Stahl-David