Yahoo Stock Falls as CEO Revisits Plan to Return Some $4 Billion to Shareholders
Marissa Mayer, named chief executive three weeks ago, is mulling what to do with money the company might get from selling its stake in Alibaba.
Shares of Yahoo were off as much as 4 percent during Thursday’s after-hours trading session as the company disclosed it might renege on its intention to return billions of dollars to stockholders.
Yahoo said in a regulatory filing that recently installed CEO Marissa Mayer is reviewing lots of the company’s plans, including its “capital allocation strategy” and “previously announced plans" for returning to shareholders the money it would make from selling its stake in Alibaba.
Yahoo owns 40 percent of the Chinese Internet company and had planned to sell about half of that for $7.1 billion, netting Yahoo about $4.2 billion after taxes. Before Mayer was named CEO last month, the company planned on returning “substantially all” of that money to shareholders.
Shares of Yahoo fell 1 percent during the regular session Thursday to $16.01 before sinking another 4 percent after the closing bell.
The “review process” initiated by Mayer, according to the filing revealed Thursday, “may lead to a re-evaluation of, or changes to, our current plans, including our restructuring plan, our share repurchase program, and our previously announced plans for returning to shareholders substantially all of the after tax cash proceeds of the initial share repurchase under the Share Repurchase and Preference Share Sale Agreement we entered into on May 20, 2012, with Alibaba.”
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Kaley Cuoco Cuts Her Hair Short, Debuts Blonder Bob Hairdo!
- Emma Stone & Andrew Garfield Bring 'Spider-Man' to 'GMA,' Get Us Really Pumped for the Movie!
- Beyonce Explores Concept of Beauty in 'Pretty Hurts' Video Premiere - Watch Now!
- Third 'Hobbit' Film 'There and Back Again' Renamed to 'Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies'