Yeah Yeah Yeahs' Karen O Debuts Opera on Oct. 12
Lili Taylor and Money Mark are among the artists participating in "Stop the Virgens" when it's unveiled at The Creators Project festival in Brooklyn.
Yeah Yeah Yeahs frontwoman Karen O will debut her "psycho opera" Stop the Virgens as part of the Creators Project in Brooklyn this month.
The project will debut Oct. 12 at St. Ann's Warehouse in the neighborhood known as DUMBO (Down Under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass), and combines the worlds of music, film and theater. There will be eight performances of the project, which was co-created by design director KK Barrett and directed by novelist-filmmaker Adam Rapp.
Stop the Virgens features nine new songs written by the Where the Wild Things Are soundtrack composer with musical direction from her bandmate Nick Zinner and producer Sam Spiegel.
Lili Taylor, Beastie Boys producer Money Mark, Jack Lawrence and Patrick Keeler of the Raconteurs and Yeah Yeah Yeahs drummer Brian Chase are among the collaborators on the opera.
“The process of creating the production has been about tuning into the music and letting it’s cinematic qualities conjure all the facets of the live experience,” says Karen O. “I brought the performing arts to the music because it felt like a natural pairing. It’s always felt as though the music was calling out to be much more than just a record.”
The Creators Project is a cultural and arts festival sponsored by Vice magazine and Intel.
On Saturday, Oct. 15, the event will feature live music from bands like Florence and the Machine, Atlas Sound and Four Tet.
The performance schedule for Stop the Virgens is:
Oct. 12, 14, 15 @ 8 p.m.
Oct. 16 @ 7 p.m.
Oct. 18, 19, 21, 22 @ 8 p.m.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Mad Men's Kiernan Shipka Discusses Show's 'Bittersweet' Ending with 'Scene' (Exclusive!)
- Jennifer Aniston & Anna Kendrick Get Emotional Lying Down on Train Tracks for 'Cake'
- Courteney Cox & Kate Walsh Party with 'Vanity Fair' at Tribeca!
- Lily Allen Praises Pop Divas in 'Sheezus' Music Video - Watch Now!