THR's Oscar Expert Breaks Down the Production Design Race
Scott Feinberg on the front-runners, major threats and possibilities for 2012.
This story first appeared in the Jan. 10, 2013 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine.
The Oscar for art direction has been renamed the production design award, and,says THR awards analyst Scott Feinberg, the competition is intense.
1. Anna Karenina
Sarah Greenwood was Oscar-nominated for her two previous films with Joe Wright and Keira Knightley, and this is their most visually sumptuous yet.
2. Les Miserables
Eve Stewart, a nominee for The King’s Speech, is almost certain to be back for this reunion with Tom Hooper, since musicals always do well in this category.
4. Zero Dark Thirty
5. Life of Pi
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Dan Hennahwas nominated for best art direction for all three of Peter Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings films.
3. The Master
4. Cloud Atlas
5. Django Unchained
J. Michael Riva, who died of a stroke during the making of the film, could score a posthumous nom for this tongue-in-cheek period piece.
Could Dennis Gassner convince voters to make this the first 007 film to be nominated in this category since 1977’s The Spy Who Loved Me?
2. The Dark Knight Rises
3. Beasts of the Southern Wild
4. Moonrise Kingdom
Director Wes Anderson showcased the work of production designer Adam Stockhausen.
5. The Impossible
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR