Zodiak preps 'Host' format for U.K.
COLOGNE, Germany -- Zodiak Television Group has picked up the format rights to hit German entertainment show "Beat Your Host" for the U.K., Sweden and Finland from German sales group SevenOne International.
In "Beat Your Host," produced by Cologne-based Brainpool, a VIP television host competes against his own guests in a series of physical, mental and trivia challenges.
The challenges range from the demanding (pole vaulting) to the banal (spreading soft cheese on a sandwich). If the guest wins, they take home a cash prize. If they lose, the money goes into the pot for the next show.
Featuring local star Stefan Raab, "Beat Your Host" has been a huge hit in Germany, drawing close to 30% market share in the 14-49 demographic for commercial network ProSieben.
Zodiak will produce local versions of "Beat Your Host" through its local production companies -- Diverse Prods. in the U.K., MTV Mastiff in Sweden and T&T Broadcasters in Finland.
The deal comes just a week after ABC greenlighted a U.S. version of Germany's No. 1 entertainment format, "Wanna Bet?"
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama