Zurich: Harrison Ford to Receive Lifetime Achievement Award
Hugh Jackman, Michael Haneke and Working Title founders Tim Bevan and Eric Fellner are also among Zurich honorees.
COLOGNE, Germany – Harrison Ford will receive the Zurich Film Festival's Golden Eye honor for lifetime achievement.
Ford, who will be setting off on a pan-European tour to promote the upcoming release of Gavin Hood's Ender's Game, will receive the honor in Zurich on Oct. 4.
In his honor, the Zurich fest will hold a special screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark ahead of the award ceremony.
“Harrison Ford has had one of the most remarkable careers of any actor in cinema, helping to propel two of the greatest movie franchises (Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark) by bringing to life iconic roles that have become just as famous as the films themselves,” said Zurich festival directors Karl Spoerri and Nadja Schildknecht. “Few actors have commanded the leading-man role that Harrison Ford has embodied throughout his career, and continues to showcase in every new project.”
Indisputably one of the world's biggest movie stars, Ford has also racked up four Golden Globe nominations and a single Oscar nom – for best actor in Peter Weir's Witness (1985). In 2002 the Hollywood Foreign Press Association gave him its lifetime achievement honor, the Cecil B. DeMille Award, and Ford has also collected lifetime honors from the American Film Institute and the National Association of Theater Owners, which in 1994 named him the box office star of the century.
The Chicago native recently appeared as Brooklyn Dodger manager Branch Rickey in Brian Helgeland’s Jackie Robinson biopic 42. Ford will be part of the all-star action ensemble cast of The Expendables 3.
The 9th annual Zurich Film Festival, which runs Sept. 26-Oct. 6, will be a particularly star-studded affair with a VIP lineup that includes fellow honorees Hugh Jackman, Amour director Michael Haneke, Working Title co-founder Tim Bevan, World War Z helmer Marc Forster (this year's jury president) and a pack of attending filmmakers including Alfonso Cuaron (Gravity), Atom Egoyan (Devil’s Knot), Oliver Hirschbiegel (Diana), James Gray (The Immigrant), Denis Villeneuve (Prisoners) and Andrew Dominik (Killing Them Softly).
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Cultural Appropriation FAQs, Featuring Vanessa Hudgens And The Return Of The Celebrity Bindi
- Katy Perry's 'Birthday' Music Video Ruins All Birthday Parties
- Betty White Tells Larry King She Doesn't Understand Homophobes
- Annecy attendees will be the first to feast their eyes on "Feast," Walt Disney Animation Studios' newest short