Academy's Sci-Tech Awards Committee Reviewing RealD, Other Technical Advances
Nine scientific and technical achievements under consideration for Sci-Tech Awards to be handed out Feb. 11.
The RealD Cinema System, familiar to moviegoers who’ve been attending 3D movies, is one of the achievements that is being considered for the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' annual Scientific and Technical Awards.
The Academy’s Sci-Tech Committee released a list Friday of nine achievements that have been selected for further awards consideration. The committee releases the list so that individuals and companies with similar devices or claims can submit their own achievements for review. The deadline to submit additional entries is Aug. 30.
After investigations are conducted on each of the entries, the committee will meet in early December to vote on recommendations to the Academy's Board of Governors, which will make the final awards decisions.
The 2011 Sci-Tech Awards will be presented at the Beverly Wilshire Hotel in Beverly Hills on Feb. 11.
The methods or devices currently under consideration are:
Micro-Voxel Volume Rendering (Side Effects Software, Inc.)
Mova CONTOUR Dense Mesh Motion Capture (Mova)
ARRI Zeiss Master Primes Lens Family (ARRI, Inc.)
Phantom High-Speed Cameras for Motion Picture Production (Vision Research. Inc.)
Pictorvision Eclipse (Pictorvision, Inc.)
RealD Cinema System for Theatrical Projection of Stereoscopic Content (RealD)
The “Lowry Process” (Reliance MediaWorks)
FUJIFILM Black and White Recording Film ENTERNA-RDS for Archive (FUJIFILM North America Corporation)
Lyre Microphone Suspension (Rycote Microphone Windshields, Ltd.)
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game