AFI Fest Announces 2011 Gala Screenings
"My Week with Marilyn," "Carnage," and "The Artist" are all set to play during the festival, which runs from Nov. 3 - 10 in Hollywood.
Casting a spotlight on several of this season’s awards hopefuls, AFI Fest will screen Michel Hazanavicius’ silent movie The Artist, Roman Polanski’s living room drama Carnqage, Luc Besson’s biopic about pro-democracy activist Aung San Suu Kyi, The Lady, Simon Curtis’ My Week with Marilyn and Steve McQueen’s portrait of a sex addict, Shame, in its Centerpiece Gala slots.
The galas also will include a program called Law of Desire: An Evening with Pedro Almodovar. The director is serving as the festival’s guest artistic director.
PHOTOS: AFI Fest 2010
The fest’s special screenings section, announced Tuesday, will include Jim Field Smith’s Butter, Ralph Fiennes' Criolanus, Mark Pellington’s I Melt with You, Werner Herzog’s Into the Abyss, Jay and Mark Duplass’ Jeff, Who Lives At Home, Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne’s The Kid with the Bike, Lars Von Trier’s Melancholia, Gerardo Naranjo’s Miss Bala, Wim Wenders’ Pina, Oren Moverman’s Rampart and Lynne Ramsay’s We Need to Talk About Kevin.
Produced by the American Film Institute, the festival, which runs from Nov. 3 – 10 at theaters in Hollywood, opens with the previously announced world premiere of Clint Eastwood’s J. Edgar.
HOLLYWOOD'S RED CARPET A-LIST
What's Hot In Awards
- Shades Of Blue, Tiger Eyes & Beyond: Chatting with Joe Bonamassa, Jim Peterik and Sondre Lerche
- 'South Park' Completely Trolls Washington Redskins With In-Game Ad Ripping Team Name
- Hell on Wheels: Recent Season Four Episode Seven Delivers!
- Ken Burns' 'The Roosevelts' Reveals Everything Wrong With Our Current Political Class
- Anne Hathaway Does Tai Chi with Robert De Niro Again!
- Emma Watson Gives a Powerful Speech About Gender Equality - Watch the Video & Read Full Transcipt Here
- Camilla Belle & Max Greenfield Support 'L.A. Loves Alex's Lemonade' Fundraiser
- Pregnant Hayden Panettiere Has Fun at Food & Wine Festival After Nude Pics Leak