Benedict Cumberbatch on 'The Blessing of Having a Weird Face' (Exclusive Video)
The actor spoke with THR as part of BAFTA's "In Conversation" series, which will debut in full next week.
"It's the blessing of having a weird face -- somewhere between an otter and something people find vaguely attractive."
This was the self-deprecating response of Benedict Cumberbatch, one of Britain’s most talented and popular young actors, to my assertion that he feels sort of "timeless" as an actor.
We spoke last Thursday at The Standard High Line in New York for the first installment of "In Conversation," an exciting new series on which BAFTA and The Hollywood Reporter are partnering to provide artists with a forum through which they can discuss their creative processes in depth.
The full video of my conversation with Cumberbatch will premiere exclusively on this website after the holiday weekend.
Cumberbatch, 37, is coming off a banner year: on television, he starred in the third season of the hit series Sherlock, and he also starred in five films: 12 Years a Slave, August: Osage County, The Fifth Estate, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug and Star Trek Into Darkness. Over the course of our time together, we discussed all of these projects and many more.
2014 Emmy Awards
What's Hot In Awards
- Jon Stewart Loves How Epic HuffPost Headlines Win The Internet
- Jesse Helt, Miley Cyrus' Date At The VMAs, Turns Himself In For Probation Violation
- Solo Concerts, Stealin' Home & Similar Skin: Chats with Bruce Hornsby, Iain Matthews and Umphrey's McGee...Plus!
- Jake 'The Snake' Roberts, Iconic Pro Wrestler, Hospitalized After Collapse
- Julianne Hough Snaps Selfies With Former DWTS Partner Helio Castroneves
- Rose McGowan Pours Pink Paint Over Charli XCX in 'Break The Rules' Music Video - Watch Here!
- Fergie Is Going to Miss the Bar at 'Chelsea Lately'
- Simon Cowell & Girlfriend Lauren Silverman Show Some Affection at 'X Factor UK' Press Launch!