ShowEast Creates the Bingham Ray Memorial Award to Honor the Late Indie Film Executive
Magnolia's Eamonn Bowles and Sony Pictures Classics' Tom Prassis are among the first recipients of the award to be presented at the annual exhibitors' convention.
ShowEast has created the Bingham Ray Memorial Award to honor the memory of the late Bingham Ray. Its first recipients will be Eamonn Bowles, president of Magnolia Pictures; producer Ben Barenholtz; Arnie Sawyer, who heads advertising agency Sawyer Studios; and Tom Prassis, senior vp sales ay Sony Pictures Classics.
The award, which recognizes individuals who have “shown exemplary leadership and foresight in the world of independent cinema,” will be presented Nov. 8 at the Final Night Banquet and Awards Ceremony of ShowEast. The exhibitors convention runs Nov. 5-8 at the Westin Diplomat Resort and Spa in Hollywood, Fla.
Ray, co-founder of October Films and a former president of United Artists, died Jan. 23 while attending the Sundance Film Festival in Park City.
“Bingham was a visionary and tireless champion of independent films, bringing them out of the art house and to audiences everywhere,” says Robert Sunshine, executive director of ShowEast. “It is only fitting that we create an award in his memory to celebrate those individuals who exemplify the spirit, tenacity and leadership that would do Bingham proud.”
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
What's Hot In Awards
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack