Bolstered by Major Oscar Noms, Focus Takes 'Dallas Buyers Club' Wide
The drama about the AIDS epidemic, which received six Oscar nominations, will expand to 1,110 locations today, up from a previous high of 734 back in December.
In the wake of last week's Oscar nominations, Focus Features is feeling bullish about Dallas Buyers Club's prospects at the box-office and will greatly expand its theatrical release this weekend, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. The drama about the early days of the AIDS epidemic, which began its rollout at nine locations back on Nov. 1, played at 734 at its peak over the Dec. 6-8 weekend and 419 last weekend, but will go wide to 1,110 starting today.
Jean-Marc Vallee's low-budget film outperformed the greatest expectations of most pundits when the Academy recognized the film with noms for not only its lead actor (Matthew McConaughey) and supporting actor (Jared Leto), but also for best picture, best original screenplay (Craig Borten and Melisa Wallack), best film editing (Vallee, under the pseudonym of John Mac McMurphy, and Martin Pensa) and best makeup (Adruitha Lee and Robin Mathews). McConaughey and Leto have already won the Golden Globe, Critics' Choice and SAG awards in their respective categories, making them the clear favorites to take home Oscars, as well.
"The critical and audience response to the film has been powerful," a Focus spokesperson told THR on Thursday. "The Golden Globe, Critics Choice and SAG awards for both Matthew and Jared, along with the six Academy awards nominations, including best picture, is a true testament to the notion of not giving up on a story you believe in. The journey to bring this film to the screen is truly a labor of love and something we are proud to share with an even bigger audience this weekend."
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- Neil LaBute Q&A: The Controversial Playwright Talks About His L.A. Theater Takeover
- Top Off-Broadway Shows to Watch in NYC This Season: Part One
- Megan Fox Is Not Thrilled About The 'Girl Power' That Was Cut From 'TMNT'
- Keith Olbermann's Powerful Speech About Lack Of Respect For Women In Sports Is A Must Watch