Brett Ratner's Oscar Telecast: 10 Best Twitter Reactions
The academy stuns Hollywood twitterers by naming Brett Ratner as co-producer of the next Oscar telecast.
The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences' Thursday announcement of Brett Ratner (Rush Hour, X-Men: The Last Stand) as a producer of the 2012 Academy Awards telecast (with experienced Oscar producer Don Mischer) hit the Twittersphere like an explosion in a Brett Ratner movie.
A few tweets were on Ratner's side, like joshbrunsting, who wrote, "I wonder...debating whether or not Ratner producing the Oscars is bad. kind of think he is oddly a good fit for something like that. Maybe."
Most tweets on the subject were akin to brandonspears (possibly channeling Ratner dialog): "For the love of God, no. NO. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO."
Here are ten gut-reaction tweets to Ratner's new gig, more or less representative of the majority:
"8/14/11 -- Dow drops 500, Margaret gets a release date and Brett Ratner is announced as Oscar co-producer #apocalypseiscoming"
"Brett Ratner producing the Oscars is like letting Thanos manage the Justice League - not just wrong 'side,' wrong UNIVERSE."
"I don't know why everybody's Chicken Little-ing about Brett Ratner producing the Oscars. 1) It keeps him from producing movies...But I will forgive Ratner everything if he can make sure Robert Evans wins the Lifetime Achievement Oscar (get Irish to present it)."-- jessehawken
"Sponsors include Axe, Ed Hardy and Four Loko." --MadisonMathews
"Host Chris Tucker: 'Do u understand the nominees that r comin outta my mouth?'" -- publishersteve
*"Brett Ratner is co-producing the Oscars because apparently they couldn't meet Uwe Boll's quote." --
"They asked Malick, but he needed more time. They gave him the 2020 ceremony." -- moviedork18
"The Oscars telecast has been so terrible in recent years that it could be the first thing to ever be improved by Brett Ratner's involvement." -- alexlitel
"I guess they wanted it to suck in fresh, exciting new ways. Kudos!" -- CEDownes
"There's no one in Hollywood who is more Hollywood than Brett Ratner, and it seems as if Hollywood is having trouble accepting that today." -- Justin_Marks
*Editor's note: This quote was erroneously attributed to mikemovie. The correct author is ADuralde, aka Alonso Duralde.
Titans of Comic-Con: Stars Re-Create Classic Characters (Photos)
- Exclusive Portraits of Robert Griffin III, Ronda Rousey, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (Photos)
- MOBA: Inside the Biggest Sporting Event You've Never Heard Of (Photos)
- Emmy Awards 2014: The Nominees (Photos)
- Hollywood's Notable Deaths of 2014 (Photos)
What's Hot In Awards
- 'Hot Tub Time Machine 2' Trailer Is The Funniest Thing On LouNet
- Mick Jagger Energizes "A Most Wanted Man" Premiere...Hot Stuff Coming to Broadway: "It's Only a Play" and "A Delicate Balance"--Plan in Advance!
- Fifty Shades Of Grey Adorable Animals: The Version You Aren't Embarrassed To Read In Public
- Eva Longoria Tells America Latino Doesn't Mean Immigrant
- Comic-Con: Everything Benedict Cumberbatch Said That Made Women Scream
- 50 Shades of Grey and The Devil Wears Prada Are Basically the Same Movie
- Chris Carter on Area 51, Playing Softball With Brandon Tartikoff, and the TV Musical in His Closet
- Evangeline Lilly Gets Candid About Lost, Writing, and Comic-Book Breasts