Orson Welles' 'Citizen Kane' Oscar Returning to Auction
The director's best screenplay academy award will be put up for grabs Dec. 20 by Nate D. Sanders auction house.
Citizen Kane may be regarded as one of the best films ever made, but the sole Oscar awarded to the movie can't seem to find a lasting home.
Orson Welles, who won it for best screenplay, lost the statue at some point after being awarded it in 1942. It was later found after his death in 1985 and put up for auction 1994 by a cinematographer who said Welles gave it to him as a form of payment.
Beatrice Welles, the filmmaker's daughter sued to get the statue back, but later auctioned it off in 2003 (after a legal battle with the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences) to the Dax Foundation, a nonprofit, who then attempted to auction it again in 2007.
Now, the statue, which has been slightly tarnished with age, is set to hit the auction block again via L.A. auction house Nate D. Sanders Dec. 20 (the seller has requested to remain anonymous).
The statue is expected to fetch between $60,000 and $1 million.
Welles' Academy artifact is just the latest in a slew of Hollywood memorabilia being sold to the public as of late. Items from Marilyn Monroe, Elizabeth Taylor, Michael Jackson, Steve McQueen and The Wizard of Oz have all been sold recently.
Hollywood Goes Broadway
What Hollywood Earns
What's Hot In Awards
- Gerard Parkes Dead At 90, Award-Winning Actor Best Known For 'Fraggle Rock' And 'Boondock Saints'
- Nicholas Brendon, 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' Actor, Arrested In Idaho
- 10 Habits Of People Who Are The Life Of The Party
- HuffPost Live's 'Spoiler Alert' Talks 'Homeland,' 'The Good Wife' And More Of Sunday's Best TV
- Nikki Reed Flies the Skies After Adopting Kitten with Boyfriend Ian Somerhalder
- Olivier Martinez Supports the Denver Broncos Before Sunday Night Football Game!
- Chloe Bennet Gets All Dolled Up for 'Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D' PaleyFest - Watch The Full Panel Here!
- Julie Bowen & Zach Braff Support HIV/AIDS Reseach at 'A Time for Heroes' Celebration 2014!