Costume Designers Honor 'Dragon Tattoo,' 'Harry Potter' and 'W.E.'
At the 14th Costume Designers Guild Awards, TV prizes went to "Glee," "Boardwalk Empire" and "Downton Abbey."
Instead of honoring the usual suspects at its 14th Costume Designers Guild Awards Tuesday night, the guild focused its spotlight on three movies that haven't gotten as much attention this awards season: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 and W.E..
Of the three films, only W.E., along with its designer Arianne Phillips, is nominated for the Academy Award for costume design. At the CDG Awards, the Madonna-directed movie about the love affair between King Edwar VIII and Wallis Simpson, earned the trophy for excellence in period film, beating out such nominees as The Artist, Jane Eyre, The Help and Hugo.
Trish Summerville won the award for contemporary film for her work in Dragon Tattoo; and Jany Temime earned the honors for fantasy film for Harry Potter.
Glee, Boardwalk Empire and and Downton Abbey all gathered prizes in the television categories.
The awards dinner, hosted by Jane Lynch and held at the Beverly Hilton Hotel, honored actress Kate Beckinsale with the Lacoste Spotlight Award, which was presented by Columbus Short, her costar in the film Whiteout. Costume designer Marlene Stewart was honored with the Disaronno Career Achievement in Film Award and was introduced by Amber Valletta.
Two-time Emmy Award nominated costume designer, Lou Eyrich received the Career Achievement in Television Award, presented by Ryan Murphy.
The Distinguished Collaborator Award was presented to Emmy award-winning costume designer Deborah Hopper and four-time Oscar winner Clint Eastwood, who have collaborated on more than 22 films over the past 20 years.
14th Annual Costume Designers Guild Award winners:
EXCELLENCE IN CONTEMPORARY FILM
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo – Trish Summerville
EXCELLENCE IN PERIOD FILM
W.E. – Arianne Phillips
EXCELLENCE IN FANTASY FILM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – Jany Temime
OUTSTANDING CONTEMPORARY TELEVISION SERIES
Glee – Lou Eyrich & Jennifer Eve
OUTSTANDING PERIOD/FANTASY TELEVISION SERIES
Boardwalk Empire – John A. Dunn, Lisa Padovani
OUTSTANDING MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE OR MINI SERIES
Downton Abbey – Susannah Buxton
EXCELLENCE IN COMMERCIAL COSTUME DESIGN
Swiffer: “Country Dirt Cowgirl” – Roseanne Fiedler
Fall TV Preview
What's Hot In Awards
- Cersei's Major 'Game Of Thrones' Nude Scene Is Officially Going To Happen
- Kim Kardashian Takes Her Crop Top To The Next Level With A Deep V-Neck
- Famous Women Point Out Exactly Why Leaking Nude Photos Is So Very Wrong
- Melissa Rivers Confirms Mother Joan Is On Life Support, Thanks Fans For Their Kindness
- Rosie Huntington-Whiteley & Jason Statham Grab Brunch in Malibu for Labor Day!
- Uma Thurman Joins Co-Stars to Premiere 'Nymphomaniac - Vol. II' at Venice Film Festival
- Sofia Vergara & Joe Manganiello Hold Hands After Romantic Mexico Getaway
- Lady Gaga Reunites with Pet Pooch Asia at LAX Airport - Watch the Adorable Video!